U.S Rep. Bob Latta (R-Ohio), ranking member of the House Energy and Commerce Subcommittee on Communications and Technology. has re-introduced the “Safely Ensuring Lives Future Deployment and Research In Vehicle Evolution Act’’ or the ‘‘SELF DRIVE Act’’ to regulate autonomous vehicles.
The legislation includes:
- Detailed cybersecurity plan requirements
- Detailed privacy plan requirements
- The creation of a federal Highly Automated Vehicle Advisory Council within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Completion of a study by the Federal Trade Commission on the highly automated vehicle marketplace, including cybersecurity and privacy measures
- Enforcement under the Federal Trade Commission Act