Sen. Ed Markey , D-Mass., has introduced a bill (S. 2577) imposing considerable obligations on data brokers regarding their handling of personal information.
- Don’t collect personal information under false pretenses.
- Have policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of the information.
- Provide an individual a means to review any personal information that you collect/maintain.
- Upon a verified request, disclose to the requesting individual information about the information collected, time of collection, who it was shared with and how long it will be retained.
- Upon a verified request, correct personal information, and take steps relating to the accuracy of publicly available information that you posses.
- If you use, share or sell personal information for marketing purposes provide the individuals with a way to opt out of such use.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive consumer privacy and data security program.
- Don’t use personal information for unreasonable purposes — this includes certain uses of biometric information, and using information in a manner that discriminates against individuals.