In the age of digitization, personal information your business holds about your customers (or your customers’ customers) has become a strategic enterprise asset and should be treated as such.
Privacy considerations should be incorporated into your go-to-market strategies.
Gartner with some tips:
- Customer-facing policies and communications should clearly explain what information is collected and why, as well as any applicable customer rights.
- Policies should be readily accessible and understandable for customers — and are reinforced internally.
- Managers and senior leaders should echo the standards in small team discussions, all-company meetings and other forms of messaging.
- There should be a coherent approach to working with third parties. Codify what third parties can and can’t do with user data, and define consequences for failure to comply. Make sure to follow through and monitor compliance.
- Compare your customers’ privacy appetite to your organization’s overall risk appetite — and be prepared to manage any gaps between the two.